Monday, February 7, 2011

Win the game

Currently we are in the middle of a series at church called Gamechanger. Yesterday's sermon was called TIMEOUT. Pastor Jim talked to us about why it's important to take a timeout. The message was based on the need to take a timeout to pray. Luke 5: 15-16 says, "News about Jesus kept spreading. Large crowds came to listen to him teach and to be healed of their diseases. But Jesus would often go to some place where he could be alone and pray."

Jim outlined a few reasons why we need to take a timeout with Jesus:
  1. Talk to talk coach (Jesus)
  2. Make a player change
  3. Ice the kicker (devil)
  4. Win the game

This last point really hit home. Here is what the Apostle Paul wrote in 1 Corinthians 9:24-27, "Remember that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize. You also must run in such a way that you will win. All athletes practice strict self-control. They do it to win a prize that will fade away, but we do it for eternal prize. So I run straight to the goal with purpose in every step. I am not like a boxer who will miss his punches. I discipline my body like an athlete, training it to do what it should. Otherwise, I fear that after preaching to others I myself might be disqualified."

Obviously this passage isn't talking about weight loss but we can also apply it's teachings. It says we must:

  • Run to win - If I set out on my weight loss journey not really thinking I'm going to win (hit goal), then what is the point? I've been guilty of that before. I've never really thought of myself at goal. I've never actually believed I'd meet that "magic" number. That has to change.
  • Practice strict self control - Dinners out, parties, cake at the office. That stuff is NEVER going to go away. It's never going to change. The only way to "run to win" is to practice self control. Now, this doesn't mean never eating another piece of pizza again. Because I know that anyone who deprives themselves of everything will eventually fail. But it does mean that if pizza is eaten for lunch, perhaps a salad for dinner. Everything in moderation.
  • Have purpose in every step - Remember the reason for the alarm getting up at 5:15 am to exercise, remember WHY I'm passing on the bread at dinner, remember taking the steps instead of the elevator is worth it!
  • Do the training - Put in the time. Plan ahead. Exercise. Journal. Attend Weight Watcher meetings.
  • Know the alternative - That's a big one. What's the alternative to NOT doing these things? I believe it will be death (sooner than I'd prefer). Diabetes is an ugly disease and I believe that if things don't change, I could be headed down that path.

This is definitely an outline that will also go on my mirror at home. I need a daily reminder of what it takes to win the game!

1 comment:

  1. Could you please re-follow my blog! I changed the URL and now everyone who follows my blog can not see my new posts in their blog feed. http://mandyblapbandjourney.blogspot.com/

    Thank you,

    Mandy

    ReplyDelete