Tuesday, October 4, 2011
I faced so many temptations in the past 2 weeks and you know what? I faced them and conquered them. I rocked them. And do you know who I give the glory to? Not me. Not South Beach diet. But God. I give the glory to God for helping me face the temptation and stand up under it.
I Corinthians 10:13 says: The temptations in your life are no different from what other experience. And God is faithful. He will not allow the temptations to be more than you can stand. When you are tempted, he will show you a way out so that you can endure.
God is faithful and he kept his word to me these past 2 weeks. I have felt very strong. Stronger than I have felt in years. And I know why. I finally turned this over to God. And he is always good.
Tuesday, September 27, 2011
Monday, September 26, 2011
Challenge 1 - Out to dinner for Chinese
Outcome - had Beef and Brocolli - NO RICE. NO CRISPY NOODLE things
Challenge 2 - Birthday cake
Outcome - had the smallest little tiny taste. It was soooo sweet. My tastebuds have already changed!
Challenge 3 - Bridal shower luncheon
Outcome - Ate the chicken salad on lettuce and that's it (it did have maybe 3 total grapes in it. Oh well)
Challenge 4 - Bridal shower pie
Outcome - Ate more chicken salad
Overall, doing well. I'm on Day #7 of the first Phase and I'm down 5 pounds.
Friday, September 23, 2011
I am bit worried as I'm going out of town this weekend and I hear we're going for Chinese for dinner. Hmm....that may be tricky.
Now just gotta EXERCISE!!
Tuesday, September 20, 2011
I'm so clique. I have so turned into my parents. Counting calories, Weight Watchers, South Beach. AHHH! LOSE WEIGHT ALREADY!
In all seriousness, I'm going back to South Beach. I feel the best when I watch my carbs and some recent medical issues have made me realize sugar does bad things to my body. So, I started Phase 1 today.
Breakfast - coffee w/sugar free creamer, string cheese, 2 hard boiled eggs
Snack - almonds
Lunch - roast beef, cheese wrapped in lettuce
Snack - Atkins protein drink
Dinner - white chicken chili w/veggies
Snack - red pepper strips w/something (laughing cow, sour cream/ranch dip)
Wednesday, August 10, 2011
I've started night journaling again and that really helps me. I start my points at dinnertime and they carry through until dinnertime the next day. It's totally in my head but it helps me.
So, what's your goal this week? How will you achieve it? Barriers to success?? Lets talk!
Monday, August 8, 2011
Ironic that when I pleaded to God to show me the way since I felt so lost, these things happen. Maybe this is just a little motivation to keep me going in the right direction.
I'm about to be ugly honest right now. I never achieve any of my goals. Hardly ever. I have started more projects, missions, plans, diets, exercise programs, Dave Ramsey than I care to admit. I could take the easy way out and say I learned it from my parents who have paid more money to Richard Simmons, Jenny Craig and Dr. Atkins than I'd like to know. But the truth is, the only person who stands in MY way is ME!
I wanted to be thin(ner) by the time my oldest started kindergarten. I didn't want to be *that* mom. I don't want my girls to be embarrassed by me. And here I sit, one week from that day where we will drop her off and while I've lost some, it's certainly not enough to get me out of that embarrassing category.
So what do I do with this? How do I go forward? Do I continue making goals I likely won't reach (if past history is any indication)?
I've spent a lot of time praying yesterday. Praying I would find the strength through The One. Through His mercy and grace, my past is forgiven and my future can be right. I know He doesn't judge me. I know He loves me. But I need to meet goals. I need to hold myself accountable.
Through Him, all things are possible. I mean, without Him, I sure haven't accomplished much.
Monday, August 1, 2011
I have an awesome group of ladies in my life that I've "known" since I was in college and we all met through Weight Watchers. Well we have come back together and challenged each other to lose 10 pounds by October 1st. We're on teams and I can't let my team down!
In all honesty, I would like to hit my 10% in that time frame so I'm kinda upping the goal!
Like my weight watchers leader said, I should only track on days I want to lose. Well put Patti, well put!
Wednesday, July 27, 2011
Tuesday, July 26, 2011
Monday, July 11, 2011
- "Rescued" a dummy from a burning training trailer at the Fire Station
- Put together a puzzle of the US at a coffee house
- Jump into a swimming pool (with clothes) to get diving sticks at the bottom
- Score a goal in a soccer net while in the wheelbarrow position (Jason did this while I held his legs)
- Score a basket with a roll of TP shooting it between our legs granny style
- Find $200 worth of fake money in a bucket using each denomination of money
- Get a fake tatoo at a tatoo parler
- Take a picture with the Chick Fil A cow
- Go downtown and we had a few clues on the canal - Jason proposed to me with a fake diamond and our pastor renewed our vows (MY FAV!!)
- Eat sushi
- Ride a mechanical bull
- Score a goal at an ice rink
- Pack a suitcase for each other at a park
- Find 3 rings in a beach vollyball court sand at a park
- 20-question form at a kid's game resturant place
- FINAL STOP there was a few obstacles we had to do - a bike course, inflatible stuff.
Wow, typing all that out makes me realize how long it was. But it was really fun and I'm so glad we participated.
Mostly, I'm appreciate that we were ABLE to participate. We are both in decent shape, love each other very much and had fun doing it (for the most part).
But, my hubby did tell me next year we're volunteering. :)
Friday, July 8, 2011
And this is my hair shorter. It's wha I like better but it does require more trips to the salon. I also work in a professional setting so I feel like it looks more professional.
So, the question is - keep it long or cut it short?
Thursday, July 7, 2011
Yesterday at my Weight Watcher meeting we talked about an interesting topic. Our leader asked us to complete the sentence, "I'll be able to lose weight when...."
I have sooooo done this. I'll be able to lose weight when:
- My kids are less reliant on me to do everything for them (more time)
- I get a raise so I can affort to go to Weight Watchers
- I do the Mini-Marathon
- I get my new phone so I can have all the cool weight loss apps
- My schedule slows down
- Winter/Summer/Spring/Fall come
- Football season is over - darn tailgates & parties
But what about RIGHT NOW? WHY can't I lose weight right now? I can. I just have to CHOSE to do it. It's not going to happen without some hard work.I lost about 20 pounds this year. But I'm back up about 7 of it. This is not acceptable. I can realize my goal. It's very simple really. Eat less. Move more. The more I eat, and the less I move, the more I can expect to gain. The less I eat, and the more I move, the more I can expect to lose. Pretty simple, right?
What do I need to do to lose weight right now?
- PLAN. What's the saying, "Failure to plan is planning to fail."
- EXERCISE. It makes me feel good. It makes me look better. For now, I have to go boot camp. 5 mornings a week. Take the weekends off.
- TRACK FOOD. There's a direct correlation between tracking food and losing weight. Hmm, who knew!
First goal: Hit 10% by August 17th. 6 weeks. 14 pounds.
And I don't know how many people read or care or follow. But I will be more accountable here.
Saturday, May 28, 2011
I haven't posted in two months! Work got extremely busy plus I was training for the Indy Mini Marathon and trying to pull off a surprise Disney trip for the family. Thankfully, I was able to accomplish both!
I am so happy I signed up for this race. Honestly, it was perfect! The weather ended up working really well - even though it did rain some. I was a bit nervous because the week before, I did my last long train which was 10 miles. I had to cut through some grass and my feet must have gotten wet and I had the blister of a lifetime. I knew the last few miles it was there but I just kept going. Then I was stupid and played with it too much and it got bad. But I have some marathon-er friends and they gave me some tips that last week before the race and race day I did fine. My goal was under 3:30 (I trained at 16 minute miles). I finished the race at 3:24 (WITH a potty stop!) so I was happy. The coolest part was a lot of friends and family "followed" me. They signed up for texts and the race would send text results at certain points. So cool! It also posted on my Facebook page.
Will I do this again? Yes, I think so. I may have been "biten" by the race bug. I took this last week off from exercise and boy did I miss it. Beginning this Tuesday, I'm going to attempt to train for a 5 mile race and I'm planning to run it. I played field hockey in high school and messed up my shins with shin splints and stress fractures so I'm goind to attempt. And my ultimate goal is a triatholon. I know, who am I?
As for the weight loss portion, I'm a bad weight watcher. I kinda stopped going to meetings and counting points. BUT, I've lost weight. I'm pretty sure if I went today (which I'm planning to do next week!), I would be close to my 10% award. We'll just have to see. Wait and find out because I WILL post it next week!
I'm feeling so much better. People have told me I look better (well not in those exact words but you know what I mean) and I'm happier. Yes, losing weight is a good thing. And one of the "goals" I was working towards was looking back at pictures from sending my oldest to kindergarten and not hating them. That time will happen on August 16th so it's very close. I have to keep moving!!!
Monday, March 28, 2011
Thursday, March 24, 2011
Triglicerides - should be under 150
3/10 - 531
6/10 - 373 *WITH medicine
3/11 - 204 * NO MEDICINE (working on getting it under 150)
Cholesterol - should be under 200
3/10 - 242
6/10 - 238 *WITH medicine
3/11 - 227 *No medicine (yes, this is still elevated but I'm working on it)
Glucose - should be under 100
3/10 - 116
6/10 - 106
3/11 - 93 *This makes me ecstatic!
Cannot wait to repeat these labs and see what even MORE weight loss, exercise and healthy eating does for my insides.
Thursday, March 10, 2011
Imagine my disappointment when I stepped on the scale Wednesday at Weight Watchers and was told I was up "a little." I knew I would be for many reasons:
- Didn't journal like I should have
- Went to an afternoon meeting with work clothes instead of Saturday morning, before breakfast/coffee wearing light exercise clothes
- TOM (time of month)
But that gain WILL BE gone by next weigh in on Wednesday. So there!
Down, up and DOWN again!
Wednesday, February 23, 2011
Friday, February 18, 2011
NO MORE PITA CHIPS!
I'm trying to update my blog a little more often but sometimes I just don't have a lot to say. But I'm trying! :)
Tuesday, February 15, 2011
But 2011 is different. I started training to do the Mini on Monday. It's 13.1 miles and it's May 7th and I'm doing it!! I'm planning to walk and possibly jog some of it. But this chick is checking that off my bucket list.
4 days a week I plan on doing treadmill work and it's between 20-60 minutes each day. Saturdays are my "long" days and I'll be outside unless the weather is terrible. I start small - just 3 miles this Saturday.
The one thing I'm a little nervous about is making the time on the weekends to get the training done. Because I work and my hubby stays at home with our kids, I always feel SO guilty about taking time away from them when I'm not at work. I know, I know. It's good for Mommy to be healthy and active and them seeing me do this. But I still feel guilty. Working on that one.
Monday, February 7, 2011
Jim outlined a few reasons why we need to take a timeout with Jesus:
- Talk to talk coach (Jesus)
- Make a player change
- Ice the kicker (devil)
- Win the game
This last point really hit home. Here is what the Apostle Paul wrote in 1 Corinthians 9:24-27, "Remember that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize. You also must run in such a way that you will win. All athletes practice strict self-control. They do it to win a prize that will fade away, but we do it for eternal prize. So I run straight to the goal with purpose in every step. I am not like a boxer who will miss his punches. I discipline my body like an athlete, training it to do what it should. Otherwise, I fear that after preaching to others I myself might be disqualified."
Obviously this passage isn't talking about weight loss but we can also apply it's teachings. It says we must:
- Run to win - If I set out on my weight loss journey not really thinking I'm going to win (hit goal), then what is the point? I've been guilty of that before. I've never really thought of myself at goal. I've never actually believed I'd meet that "magic" number. That has to change.
- Practice strict self control - Dinners out, parties, cake at the office. That stuff is NEVER going to go away. It's never going to change. The only way to "run to win" is to practice self control. Now, this doesn't mean never eating another piece of pizza again. Because I know that anyone who deprives themselves of everything will eventually fail. But it does mean that if pizza is eaten for lunch, perhaps a salad for dinner. Everything in moderation.
- Have purpose in every step - Remember the reason for the alarm getting up at 5:15 am to exercise, remember WHY I'm passing on the bread at dinner, remember taking the steps instead of the elevator is worth it!
- Do the training - Put in the time. Plan ahead. Exercise. Journal. Attend Weight Watcher meetings.
- Know the alternative - That's a big one. What's the alternative to NOT doing these things? I believe it will be death (sooner than I'd prefer). Diabetes is an ugly disease and I believe that if things don't change, I could be headed down that path.
This is definitely an outline that will also go on my mirror at home. I need a daily reminder of what it takes to win the game!
Saturday, January 29, 2011
Friday, January 28, 2011
This morning I convinced my workout buddy John to do a 5K with me too. This morning I did it in 46:30 and I felt a lot better doing it. Just shows you that a little work does pay off.
Thursday, January 27, 2011
DH (dear husband): I'm sorry, I'm really sorry.
Me: Sorry....about what????
DH: I'm sorry but I'm STARVING!
Me: Okay, so????
DH: So, I am trying to be supportive of your weight loss efforts and I'm trying to not tempt you but I HAVE to eat something.
Me: Umm, that's fine. Go ahead.
DH: Really? Okay...great!
(scene) Me, laying on the couch. DH, sitting in a chair next to me chomping on Lime Tortilla chips straight out of the bag
DH: Wow, I was hungry!
DH: Yea, sorry I'm eating in front of you.
Me: No, it's fine. I'm just laying here. The taste of my saliva tastes so good that I don't even NEED those delicious lime tortilla chips you're shoving into your mouth like you didn't eat dinner a few hours ago!
NSV - I didn't eat ONE chip. Not one. :)
Wednesday, January 26, 2011
- DIABETES. I had gestational diabetes and therefore, I'm at more risk of developing diabetes. I've always just kind of said, "yea, yea" when my doc has told me that. But recently, I feel like God has been testing me. I've heard a lot of people talking about diabetes and how horrible it is. Finally, last night I said to God, "okay, I hear you loud and clear."
- FAT MOM SYNDROME. I don't want to be a fat mom. I don't want my kids to be embarrassed of me when I take them to school. Part of the reason for kicking this stuff into high gear is realizing taking my oldest to kindergarten isn't that far off. August of this year. THIS YEAR! I want to look back at those pictures and those memories and be proud of both of us.
- SELF CONFIDENCE ISSUES. I have always considered myself a fairly confident person. I will try new things, speak in public, introduce myself to a stranger. But recently, I've seen my self confidence begin to slip. I've found myself avoiding social events because I know I will see someone who will likely talk away and say, "umm, SHE gained weight." I'm tired of that. I want my confidence back!
Friday, January 21, 2011
I would say our home has plenty of healthy options. Low fat cheese, fruits, veggies, natural peanut butter, whole grain breads.
But I also have a husband who is naturally thin, eats what he wants and enjoys ice cream, tortilla chips, etc. My kids eat those things - also in moderation.
Me? I'm the only one who doesn't eat those things in moderation. But why should they "suffer" because Mommy can't stay away from the chips? I know, I know. It's not healthy for them to eat those things either. BUT, I also want my girls to learn to have "bad" foods around and control themselves. Unlike their mommy.
I've thought about making a box/tupperware thing and putting some of the more junky options in there. If I do that, my hubby may committ me. :)
So, how do YOU control your environment?
Wednesday, January 19, 2011
Today? Today I am wearing the jeans. No rubberband. Just wearing them.
Gotta remember that when faced with the cake downstairs. :)
Tuesday, January 18, 2011
Well, a ten day committment isn't going to get me to my goal of losing 60 pounds this year, is it?
I lost 4.4 pounds at my meeting on Jan. 8th. I promptly went on a 9 day eating binge and I un-did everything I lost. Greeaat!
BUT, I'm back on it. Drinking my water, journaling my food, exercising, and praying to God to help me break this vicious cycle of eating like a maniac.
I've been reading The Lord's Table and it's really helped me to put in perspective of WHY I should get healthy. I need to honor God. He gave me this body and it's not MY choice to abuse it.
Moving on, I'm moving on.
Sunday, January 2, 2011
The ONE THING I want for 2011 is to lose weight. That's not really any different than most resolutions I have made in the last decade. This year is different though. I'm doing
I resolve to lose 60 pounds in 2011 and blog about it. That's 5 pounds a month for 12 months. The math is simple. The work is not so simple but I'm doing it.
"Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland." Isaiah 43: 18
What is the ONE THING you're going to do in 2011?