Friday, January 21, 2011

Controlling your environment

I've been thinking about this for some time. A lot of people will say one thing that is key to losing weight and changing your diet is to control your environment. Rid it of junk food. Surround yourself with healthy options.

I would say our home has plenty of healthy options. Low fat cheese, fruits, veggies, natural peanut butter, whole grain breads.

But I also have a husband who is naturally thin, eats what he wants and enjoys ice cream, tortilla chips, etc. My kids eat those things - also in moderation.

Me? I'm the only one who doesn't eat those things in moderation. But why should they "suffer" because Mommy can't stay away from the chips? I know, I know. It's not healthy for them to eat those things either. BUT, I also want my girls to learn to have "bad" foods around and control themselves. Unlike their mommy.

I've thought about making a box/tupperware thing and putting some of the more junky options in there. If I do that, my hubby may committ me. :)

So, how do YOU control your environment?

3 comments:

  1. We've got one cupboard where all the snacks are stored. When I'm searching for something to eat, I know to just stay OUT of that cupboard! I also have my own little area in the kitchen where I store the healthier snacks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooooh that's a tough one. I just don't buy it. I know that doesn't help. One thing I struggle with is fast food so I tell myself that if I want it I can't drive I have to walk to get it. It works for me. I think having a specific cabinet for the junk food is a great idea.

    I Dream Of Size 3 Jeans

    ReplyDelete